October 6, 2008

Top Nine List

I seem to always be about a month behind on my posts. We went to the Utah State Fair in September, but I just have to post this.

First, I have to give you a little goat lesson. As we sit in the barn for the goat shows at the State Fair, multitudes of students, groups and families come through to see the animals. We soon found out, the first time there, that many don't know anything about farm animals. We always get asked questions about the goats, but one question we get 98% of the time, "What happened to their ears." The LaMancha breed of goats have little stubby ears. It actually looks like they have none. And most questions and comments revolve around their ears - or lack of.
Here's a picture of a LaMancha.
Most people think of Nubians, with Roman noses and long floppy ears, when they think of goats, and probably don't even realize that there are other breeds.

Anyway, enough goat lesson, here's what I wanted to post:

The Top Nine List of Funny Comments We Heard About Goats While Sitting at the Utah State Fair.
(Sorry, I only had nine, not ten.)


#9 - Abt. 15 year-old girl: "I have to take pictures of all their butts! They're so weird."

#8 - Abt. 9 year-old boy spots brown LaMancha across the barn: "Hey look! They have a llama."

#7 - Abt. 6 year-old girl: "Mommy, do these lay eggs?"

#6 - Abt. 15 year-old boy: "Hey, a Billy Goat!"
Owner: "That ain't no Billy Goat. Look underneath her, see the udder?"
15 y.o.b.: Looks confused at word 'udder'. "But it has little horns."
Owner: "They all have horns."

#5 - Grown man: "So, are these the goats?"

#4 - Mentally challenged man points to a blank white banner hanging from the ceiling and says confidently, "See that? It says 'goats'." Other mentally challenged adults in group look at banner, nod approvingly, and walk away. Only one man stays behind and looks at blank banner confused. Steps around to look at other side of blank banner. Finally shrugs his shoulders and walks off to join the others.

#3 - Abt. 10 year-old boy to his classmates looking at a LaMancha: "Yep, they cut the ears off. They use animal parts to make things."

#2 - Abt. 8 year-old girl referring to the teats: "See those? You have to touch those and push them up in to get milk out of them. They do it to cows too."
Her classmate's response: "Eww!"

#1 - Grown man with wife and four young children: Confidently, "The boys have ears, the girls don't."


Logan and Stauney raise Oberhasli's. Here's a picture of them at the State Fair. They did really well in the 4-H show with Logan getting 4th and Stauney getting 1st in their age groups in Showmanship. Then Stauney's goat Penelope got 2nd place Jr. Kid, and Logan's goat got 2nd place Dry Yearling, and Jr. Reserve Champion.
In the open show Penelope got 1st place Jr. Kid, and Ruby got 3rd place Dry Yearling. I won't go into detail of what that all means, but it's really good!
(Stauney is actually showing Clover in this picture, and if you read my previous goat posts of why she no longer owns Clover, I'll just add that despite her recent cosmetic surgery for which we dubbed her 'FrankenClover', she hilariously won 1st place in the same show she got disqualified in last year!)

And finally, I had to show a picture of these awesome tigers that were in a show at the fair. They are from the Marcan Tiger Preserve Tigers of India show. They were so beautiful!

The State Fair is a lot of work and effort, but very entertaining and rewarding in the end.

2 comments:

renee' said...

That is a classic list. Funny stuff! I cannot believe how tall both Logan and Stauney are, WOW! It's fun to read about you and your family!

Rachel Chick said...

I laughed so hard at this! LOL! You know, there are a lot of "mentally challenged" people out there! :) - Oh, and thanks for the tip on the marker! - I still haven't worked on removing it because I want to take a picture ---- I think there may be something wrong with me! :)